Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Perspective

“Friends, acquaintances, even family often think warriors are obsessed or compulsive, but that isn’t true. Obsessive and compulsive behaviors are, by definition, traits of individuals unable to control themselves. The warrior is just the opposite; he is the model of control. The warrior doesn’t seek pain, fear, fatigue, and the other unpleasant byproducts of constant training because he likes them. But he knows they are obstacles between him and his objectives. His goal is to overcome them, and he knows that to defeat an enemy, he must attack. It isn’t that the warrior is driven. He is the driver.” Living the Martial Way by Forrest Morgan as quoted by Nate Self in Two Wars

I read the above Sunday after hearing a sermon on Ephesians 6:10-18. In this passage, Paul admonishes us to put on the full armor of God because we are in a battle. And in this battle, we are to take a proactive position. We are to stand firm and fight, not cower and hide.

In 2002, Nate Self, Team Leader of Army Rangers, led his platoon into Afghanistan to rescue a missing soldier. Their helicopter was shot down while trying to land and Nate led a skirmish against Al-Qaeda in which several of his platoon members were killed in action. Nate quotes the above toward the beginning of his book while describing his training. Those who fight for the United States of America endure rigorous physical and mental exercises to prepare for war. They zip down ropes, memorize creeds, battle scenarios and tactics, run for hours with heavy equipment on their backs, and go without sleep and food. They are cut off from the rest of the world, immersed in various live-fire mission drills.

Right now soldiers are half-way around the world fighting for our right to sit on our butts and eat bon-bons while watching reality TV shows that are anything but reality. They take up their sword (weapon) every day to fight for my freedom to live a complacent life. And I’m complaining about how hard it is to say “No” to an extra piece of pie or one more serving of pasta. Wow. . . . Shame on me!

My perspective is off. I am a warrior in a battle like Nate and his buddies. I am called to prepare for battle—hide his word in my heart, pray, and put on the armor of God. Then I can “stand against the devil’s schemes” (Eph. 6:11). God equips me as the U.S. Government equips our armed forces.

The next time I am tempted to go for a second serving (even though I’m full) I may think of Nate and what he suffered to protect me and my family. Maybe my conflict won’t appear so difficult and I will easily say “No.”

WINNER!

The winner of Pure Emotion by Susan Lawrence is Diana DePriest! Please contact me with your snail mail so I can send it to Susan. THANKS!

If this blog encourages you:
  • Spread the word through email.
  • Post on facebook or twitter.
  • Become a follower.
  • Subscribe to receive posts through email.
  • Grab my button and add it to your blogsite.

1 comment:

Keith Reynold Jennings said...

Nice lesson, Barb! Thank you for sharing!

If we're not under some kind of spiritual attack, then we're not really a threat, are we? Only threats get attention.

It seems the warrior life, even with food, is one of offense (i.e. identifying and minimizing threats that can ultimately harm us), and defense (being prepared to overcome attacks when they come).