Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I Eat When I'm Bored


I had surgery in early March. Since then my movements and capabilities have been restricted. I’ve been forced to clear my calendar and wait out the healing process. The end result: boredom.


One thing I am allowed to do: eat. Recently I noticed how often I eat from sheer boredom. I am not hungry nor is it meal time. I wander around wondering what to do and either see food (I’ve been keeping snacks on the counter because I can’t bend down to get them) or just begin to think about food. Then, before you know it, I’m eating.

In analyzing and praying about my predicament, I’ve realized a few things. The first is that I am “doing life” without God. I think I can make my own decisions and run my own life without consulting God. The second is that I am in auto-pilot mode. I act without thinking.

What is the answer? To begin, awareness. When I am aware of the circumstances that make it difficult to consult God and eat the way He wants me to, I should change the circumstances or my reaction to them. For example, I can put my snacks away. Thus, it is more difficult to grab and munch. Also, I can consult God about why I am bored and how I can change my schedule to fill in the gaps.

Additionally, I need to abide and seek Him. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5). “O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you . . . My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me” (Psalm 63:1,8).

Do you thirst for Him?

Are you clinging to Him?

Are you “doing life” without consulting the One who knows what is best for you? If so, turn, and run to Him. Cling to Him.

If this blog encourages you:
Spread the word through email.
Post on facebook or twitter.
Become a follower.
Subscribe to receive posts through email.
Grab my button and add it to your blogsite.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for the post, Barb ... it hit home for me. When I have "slow time" and am not specifically focusing on anything, I often find my thoughts wandering to food - and, as you said, thoughts of food are soon followed by eating of the food! For me, it helps to start reading, or doing anything to engage my mind so I'm less likely to obsess on what's available to eat in the kitchen. And, as you said, it's important to use those moments as reminders to turn to God and seek His guidance - He is ever faithful.

Barb Winters said...

Thanks for your comment, Laura!

Great summation and example of how to turn your thoughts elsewhere.