Saturday, December 4, 2010

Walking a Tightrope


My joints are swollen. My body aches.

Several factors could be contributing to these symptoms including the weather, my monthly cycle, and toxins in the air. But it would be irresponsible of me to ignore the possibility that I may have eaten too many cookies at the Christmas Open House on the square. Yes, sugar affects my body adversely. My homework is complete. God revealed to me years ago (after eating the entire stash of candy from my son’s Easter basket and getting a major sinus infection the next day) that sugar is harmful to my body. He confirmed it several years later when my back went out after a stretch of improper eating during the holidays. I know that my body craves sugar (which is why I am cautious about diets that state your body will crave what it needs); but, it is my enemy. (It may not be yours.)

How does this fit into a blog on lies and truth? Sometimes we have to dig for the truth. It takes time and effort. It takes research. Do you know how foods affect your body? Are you aware that different foods affect the functionality of your body differently? Choosing to ignore how food choices affect your body is like choosing not to change the oil in your car. Your car functions best when you maintain it properly. Your body functions best when you maintain it properly. To maintain it, you must know how certain foods influence it.

When we ignore our body’s signals, we are basically saying, “I can treat my body however I want. It’s my body.” I could disregard the signals I am receiving. But memories of past experiences remind me that my body will eventually “break.” My back will go out or I will get a sinus infection.

Let’s go deeper. What if I don’t get a sinus infection? What if my back holds up? Does that mean I can continue to teeter on the edge of wellness and illness by eating as much sugar as possible without physical consequences? Should I continue to walk the tight rope praying that I don’t fall? “Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means!” (Rom. 6:1-2)

The truth is: “You are not your own; you were bought at a price.” (1 Cor. 6:19) This is not my body to destroy. It is “a temple of the Holy Spirit.” (1 Cor. 6:19) As a follower of Christ I want to honor God. I want to be a good steward of the resources He has granted me, including my body.

How about you?

Do you know how certain food choices affect your body?

A side note: I have gone to great lengths to avoid giving specific directions on how to eat. The purpose of this blog is to point you to the One who gives direction. I have researched foods, fasting, cleansing, sugar and sugar substitutes. But this knowledge is worthless if I still believe lies. However, if you are interest in specifics, let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

“Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means!” (Rom. 6:1-2)

The truth is: “You are not your own; you were bought at a price.” (1 Cor. 6:19) This is not my body to destroy. It is “a temple of the Holy Spirit.” (1 Cor. 6:19) As a follower of Christ I want to honor God. I want to be a good steward of the resources He has granted me, including my body. "

YES!!! I needed that!

and i'd love to hear your research about sugar and sugar substitutes.